Second Lesson from 2010: Build a Business Around Your Ideal Lifestyle

14 Responses to Second Lesson from 2010: Build a Business Around Your Ideal Lifestyle

1. Jessilicious December 29, 2010 at 7:45 am #

Hi April!

I like this strategy! :) My to-do list is already pretty short. ;) I liked what you said about creating blog posts, though…. That is definitely something I could do more efficiently! Do you have a file or something where you keep notes on titles and ideas for each post?
    Jessilicious recently posted..Quirky Entrepreneurs- Chellie Campbell &amp I Gotta Be Me

• April January 3, 2011 at 8:26 am #

Hey Jess,

I keep it all on my Google calendar. I just add a task: Write Blog Post and then I also include a title and any notes that I thought of when I came up with the blog topic. I always come up with blog topics when I’m doing something else, so I just jot them down and then add them as another post when I get back in front of my computer. This helps me to never have to brainstorm topics when I sit down to write.

2. samantha December 29, 2010 at 7:50 am #

I just found your blog and what a treasure trove. I don’t usually watch videos but for some reason clicked on this one. Love the idea. My daily to do is usually pretty small but then I feel guilty that I didn’t get enough done. My question is how involved your tasks are. Do you put down the whole project as a to-do or just the next small step? For example is do all the laundry a task or just wash 4 loads? (with 5 kids we always have a ton of laundry)

thanks

• April January 3, 2011 at 8:28 am #

Thanks Samantha. And wow–5 kids–I’d never be able to keep up with laundry!

I try to keep each to-do item to about an hour. At this point, I either guess or I’ve done it so many times that I know how long it takes. For instance, my blog posts tend to take about an hour to write, find a picture, and schedule–so that would be one task. Cleaning my kitchen usually takes about an hour, so that would be one task.

I hope that helps and good luck with that laundry :)

3. Sarah - Dodeline Design December 29, 2010 at 1:09 pm #

That is such a great point. I spend so much time developing my business that I forget to develop my life and business together so that they work cohesively. Great post!
    Sarah – Dodeline Design recently posted..So You’re Getting Married and You Want to Invite A Few Friends…

4. Ashley Inzer December 29, 2010 at 7:50 pm #

This is so brilliant. Thank you!

5. Bonnie Lee January 3, 2011 at 10:30 am #

April I have to say that this idea intrigues me even though I find it a scary thing. My to do lists are massive and a work of organisational art!
    That said I am frequently exhausted and left feeling overwhelmed and stressed about the fact that there is no end to them.
    I have even tried scheduling creative time but who can be creative on demand?
    I think that I am going to try a list of 6 for a month and see how it works for my crazy life!
    Bonnie

• April January 3, 2011 at 10:34 am #

Hey Bonnie! I completely understand that cutting your to-do list is scary. Even though I’ve been doing it for a while now, I still have that inkling to add “just one more thing.” But then I remind myself how well this has been working for my business, my creativity, and my happiness. Today, I’ve already crossed three things off my list and it’s only 10:30–that means I’ll probably have lots of extra time this afternoon to create–and I can’t wait :)

6. Meagan January 5, 2011 at 11:28 pm #

This is an AWESOME idea April! I’m definitely going to sit down and figure out how many 1 hr. to-do’s I need, stick with it for at least a week, and I’m sure I’ll see a difference. It’s insane how much time you waste when you think about it.
    Meagan recently posted..Handmade Bibs – Baby Bibs – Washcloth Bibs – Springtime Stripes

• April January 6, 2011 at 7:11 am #

Thanks Meagan. I hope it works for you. It made a huge difference for me :)

7. Kristal January 21, 2011 at 2:56 pm #

I love this idea, and also find it very scary! Right now, my to-do list is a full page TYPED, in TWO columns! lol And of course I can’t get anything checked off. I have a fear that if I don’t write something down, I will forget; so throwing my list out and just making short daily lists really scares me, but I am very intrigued by your idea. I may just have to “stash” my list away for a week and give it a try. Thank you for the inspiration, and for making me realize that this list isn’t helping me at all!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. To-do Lists | Meagan Visser - February 23, 2011

[…] last night I watched this “vlog” (video blogging) with April from Blacksburg Belle on lessons that she learned in 2010, and she had the BESTEST idea on how to make your to-so list […]

2. To-do Lists | Purpose & Prosper - November 15, 2012