One of My Fears Revealed

I spent over four hours yesterday evening combing the internet for fun DIY christmas gifts, and I found some ideas I’m excited to try out.

Since grad school, I’ve always strived to give at least one handmade gift to each person in my family every holiday season. One year, I knitted scarves for everyone. Another year, I made scrapbooks. Last year, I sewed matching pot holders, tea towels, and aprons.

I’ve got my plan for this year. I would share the projects I’m attempting with you, but my family reads my posts so it would ruin the surprise. I’ll take pictures and post them after Christmas.

Today’s video has nothing to do with handmade Christmas gifts, but I do mention My Little Pony, vegan eggnog, and Adderall. Find out what they have to do with your business by watching this week’s video.

In the comments below, I’d love for you to share two things: 1. Ideas for homemade Christmas presents. What are you making this holiday season? 2. If you’ve ever struggled with feeling like a copycat and how you remedied it.

9 Responses to One of My Fears Revealed

1. Lisa November 28, 2012 at 6:53 pm #

April

Love your honesty. I too follow Marie Forleo and while I love you both I can tell you that you both have a different energy and approach so don’t ever worry about being a copycat!

No two people share with the world the same, this is a realization I have had to come to grips with as well.

I am sure to put my own personality and spin on everything I share. I always create my own unique titles, acronyms, etc. to be sure that I stand out.

Lisa
    Lisa recently posted..5 Ways to Drive Traffic to Your Blog

2. Coral November 28, 2012 at 9:26 pm #

One of the funniest videos you’ve done – your husbands indignation at not being able to ask questions about 38 year old brothers obsessed with My Little Pony – how am I supposed to explain that one to my husband tonight? It’s gonna be followed by “whaaaat????”

I’ve written a blog post a few times and then seen the same topic on other blogs – damn it! And of course you think the other person did it better or they have a bigger profile so you look like the copy cat. Just when you think you are rocking the Kasbar…. Nope

It reminds me of the Steal Like An Artist philosophy. If its a straight out copy, that’s not cool. But when it’s a general idea with your spin on it that makes unique, that’s okay. Love that you mention putting more you into your blogging, artwork and business. That’s where I am focusing at the moment. I call it Fighting The Vanilla. ;)
    Coral recently posted..Fighting the vanilla

3. Kelly November 28, 2012 at 11:45 pm #

Thanks for this awesome post/video:) Totally have felt like this in my business! Good to see I’m not alone.
    I’m making “one year of dates” binders for each of the young couples in my family.

4. Sage November 29, 2012 at 12:04 am #

I worry about appearing like a copycat too. I try to remember that there are no new ideas…but there’s only one me! My peeps like me because of my personality and my unique spin on things. Who cares if there are other people out there talking about the same topic? Great advice!

BTW, I’m obsessed with My Little Pony (seriously!). But the new one, “My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic” not the old 1980s one. It’s by the same woman who created the Powerpuff Girls, so you know it rocks! :)
    Sage recently posted..Making Self-Care a Daily Habit

5. Louise @ Foxy and Fabulous November 29, 2012 at 2:14 am #

Oh honey, I hear you! I loved Marie’s video and am planning to create my own but I feel like hers already has everything I want in mine. Decided I’m going to shoot it with total abandon and then go back and watch hers and double, triple check to make sure I’m different. Oh, and I’m tooootally steering clear of My Little Pony loving hot young things – thanks for that tip!
    Louise @ Foxy and Fabulous recently posted..Being a better blogging citizen

6. linda November 29, 2012 at 2:43 am #

Totally a topic that touches my inner gremlins! Often, the knowledge of something existing out there already… prevents me from going forward with my own idea, because what if I unconsciously create the same thing? It’s definitely a challenge and in the end, it is all a bit subjective. Because what is totally brand new and original? Not sure anymore… but I agree that if we put ourselves into it… then there’s no mistaking that it’s unique to us!
    linda recently posted..Comment on Let’s Make Some Paper Angels by kristen

7. Yolanda November 29, 2012 at 12:07 pm #

Hi April, thank you so much for this :) I felt as if you were talking directly to me. I love watching your videos and get to much from them. Have a blessed day! Yolanda

8. Jennifer Kennedy December 1, 2012 at 7:28 pm #

Howdy April!! I’ve been following your videos for about a month or so now!! And, I completely love what you do.

It’s you who showed me how to put a bit of ME into what I’m doing. I’ve recently stepped aside and thought about how I can add my personality to the videos and posts that I’m doing. (Used one of your mini marketing makeover worksheets.)

I’m still not where I want to be — baby steps. But, at least I’m happy with being vulnerable and showing my personality!!

Cheers,
    JK
    Jennifer Kennedy recently posted..iMovie Tutorial: Video within Video + A Dose of Silliness

9. Ursula December 10, 2012 at 6:11 pm #

Love that you try to give handmade gifts for Christmas to everyone! I LOVE giving handmade gifts … but the last year I actually gave almost none because I drove myself crazy with making them. *lol*
    This year I made necklaces which I plan to give to my sister and a friend http://ursulamarkgraf.com/crochet/ein-post-ohne-knopfe-und-ohne-stoff-lach
    I hope they will like them. To be honest, I find it hard to find ideas to make that people in my family will really like or use. I often get the feeling that they do not really value handmade things as much as I would like them to …
    But I LOVE to give handmade things to my kids and they do value them! Which makes me even more proud! :-) I just had to come up with a clever way to explain to them why Mama needs to help Santa Claus. *laugh*

As for you second question – yes, I have that fear as well! Especially when I get ideas that I know I can not put into action right away. I often think “What if someone else will do them FIRST” which is of course total crap as you are completely right: There already is pretty much nothing anymore that has not been done yet! So I usually try to tell myself to just get over it. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn’t. But I am working on it. :-)

Thanks for your awesome videos!
    xox,

Ursula

P.S. By the way … as I was part of b-school and of course watched all the launch-material … and I have watched your launch videos, too! Your hubby is right – the idea that they are similar never even crossed my mind! :-) You have your very own style!!!
    Ursula recently posted..Ever seen a knitting mouse?