Watercolor Lesson: Apples

Watercolor-Lesson-1

For Christmas, my mother-in-law gave my husband and I ‘gift certificates’ for watercolor lessons with her. She’s an incredibly talented artist and taught art for over 25 years.

I’ve wanted to experiment with watercolor for a couple years now, so I counted down the days to the first one. We snacked on chips and popcorn while painting apples. Within those couple of hours, I fell in love with watercolor. Over the past couple of weeks I’ve been playing with watercolor in my art journal and I can’t wait for our second class.

Watercolor-Lesson-2

Watercolor-Lesson-5

Watercolor-Lessons-3

Watercolor-Lesson-6

Watercolor-Lesson-4

12 Responses to Watercolor Lesson: Apples

1. Angela January 20, 2014 at 11:38 am #

I love the look of watercolor, it’s beautiful. Great work!
    Angela recently posted..Glitter + Gold DIYs to Start 2014

• April January 22, 2014 at 10:54 pm #

Thank you! I’m falling hard for watercolor. I think it’s beautiful, too.

2. Nathifa January 20, 2014 at 2:34 pm #

these are lovely! I’ve done watercolors in the past, but they really scare me.

• April January 22, 2014 at 10:55 pm #

I know what you mean. You have a lot less control than with other types of art. But, once you learn to let go a little, it can be a ton of fun.

3. Coral January 20, 2014 at 3:46 pm #

These are gorgeous, April… Kinda funny you were snacking on chips and popcorn though… Was sure you were gonna say apples.
    Coral recently posted..It took me 2 years to figure this out… I started at the wrong end

• April January 22, 2014 at 10:55 pm #

Thank you! I know…chips and popcorn are more fun than apples! :)

4. Teri January 20, 2014 at 10:21 pm #

April- I looks like you really have a knack for watercolor. Your photos of your work are great too! Happy 2014.

• April January 22, 2014 at 10:56 pm #

Thanks, Teri! I had so much fun–and a great teacher!

5. Adriana Willsie Saipe January 21, 2014 at 10:15 am #

Isn’t painting the most fun ever? So excited to see that you’re trying it out :)
    Adriana Willsie Saipe recently posted..Johnson

• April January 22, 2014 at 10:57 pm #

It can be soooooooo much fun! I’ve painted with acrylics for years now, but I think watercolor is more my thing. Who knew?

6. Ursula-the crafting gypsy January 24, 2014 at 2:03 pm #

Ooooh, I LOVE your mother-in-law!!! Wasn’t she the one that gave you the pottery class as well? I want her! Can we swap!!! Pretty please! ;-)
    I bought myself a nice watercolor set last year. But to be honest, without a class – it is hard to get used to. I love it, but I am certainly not really getting the most of it (yet).
    After trying out watercolors I ended up in mixed-media. *laugh* So I still use the watercolors, but I guess I really could learn more. Love your apples.

It is always exciting to learn new creative stuff, isn’t it!
    Ursula-the crafting gypsy recently posted..Sunday whispers – Meet your worst critic

• April January 24, 2014 at 2:07 pm #

Hey Ursula! It’s so great to hear from you!

Yep, she’s the one who gave us the pottery class. She’s pretty much the best mother-in-law ever.

You should try out the book: Water Paper Paint by Heath Smith Jones. I recently bought it and it’s great for watercolor beginners. It includes lots of tips and projects that you can actually do. It’s quickly becoming one of my favorite art/craft books. I can’t recommend it enough. Plus, it shows you how to use watercolor with mixed media.