As carnivores, my husband and I would indulge in a breakfast sandwich every once in a while. One of our favorites was a sausage biscuit with cheese. I asked my husband to create a vegan and gluten-free version just to see if we could. This morning, I woke up to homemade biscuits and “sausage.” We melted some vegan cheddar cheese on top and it came pretty darn close.
The “sausage” was a little chewy. The consistency wasn’t quite right but the flavorings were perfect. Next time, we’ll probably add some more mushrooms to play with the consistency. My husband tried this recipe for the sausage, but he made up his own biscuit recipe which I loved.
1 cup cornstarch
1 cup brown rice flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon sea salt
4 tablespoons butter, unsalted, chilled, cut into small cubes
1 cup rice milk
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Egg replacer
3 tablespoons water
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. If you can’t get ahold of parchment paper, line the sheets with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
2. In a small bowl, add rice milk and vinegar. Do not mix.
3. In a mixing bowl, add cornstarch, brown rice flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together. Add the chilled butter cubes to the dry ingredients. Mix with a pastry cutter (or your hands) until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
4. Thoroughly whisk together the egg replacer and the water. Add the rice milk and vinegar mixture and stir. Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix until just combined. It should be more of a wet mixture than traditional biscuit dough. You can chose to use a biscuit cutter, but we did drop biscuits.
5. When placing the biscuits in the oven, reduce the heat to 400. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the bottoms are brown.