If you love Mexican food, you need to add this dish to your recipe box. It’s pretty easy and makes a lot, so it’ll feed a big family or provide lots of leftovers.
2 tablespoons canola oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped
2-4 Serrano chilies, chopped (more or less for heat)
4 cups long grain rice
Two 14.5-ounce cans whole tomatoes
One can diced fire roasted tomatoes
1 tablespoon cumin
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more)
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
4 cups no-chicken broth
Shredded Daiya Cheddar
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Heat the oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add the garlic, onions and chilies and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
3. Reduce the heat to low and add the rice toast, stirring constantly for about 4 minutes.
4. Add the whole tomatoes, diced tomatoes, cumin, salt, pepper, cayenne and turmeric and cook for about 3 minutes.
5. Finally, add the broth, stir the mixture together and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the rice is not quite done (about 10 to 15 minutes left of cooking time).
6. Top with the cheese, and then bake with the lid off until the cheese is melted and the rice fully cooked, about 15 minutes.